Main Article Content
alcohol dehydrogenase expression, Exercise Intensity, digestive system
Background and Objective: The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between the intensity of treadmill exercise and alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) expression in the large intestine.
Material and Methods: Thirty Sprague-Dawley white male rats were randomly assigned to a control group (CON; no exercise), low-intensity exercise group (LIG; 30-min exercise at 8 m/min 5 times a week for 4 weeks), or high-intensity exercise group (HIG; 30-min exercise at 28 m/min 5 times a week for 4 weeks).
Results: A microarray analysis was conducted to evaluate ADH gene expression levels in large intestinal tissue, which showed significant changes in the expression of four ADH genes (Adh1, Adh4, Adh6a, and Adh7) related to exercise intensity. In addition, pooled samples of the exercise groups showed decreased expression levels of these four genes compared with those of the control group. These findings were confirmed by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. In addition, differences were detected with respect to exercise intensity: Adh1, Adh4, and Adh6a levels were significantly decreased in the LIG compared with those in the HIG, whereas Adh7 expression showed an opposite trend.
Conclusion: In conclusion, this study suggests that regular exercise can decrease the incidence of alcohol-related disease by suppressing ADH production in the digestive system.
2. Lee MC, Rakwal R, Shibato J, et al. DNA microarray-based analysis of voluntary resistance wheel running reveals novel transcriptome leading robust hippocampal plasticity. Physiol Rep 2014;2(11):12206.
3. Guo L, Xu K, Yan H, et al. Expression profile of long noncoding RNAs in human earlobe keloids: a microarray analysis. Biomed Res Int, 2016;2016:5893481.
4. Itakura H, Kobayashi M, Nakamura S. Chlorella ingestion suppresses resistin gene expression in peripheral blood cells of borderline diabetics. Clin Nutr ESPEN 2015;10(3):95–101.
5. May AM, Bosch MJ, Velthuis MJ, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of an 18-week exercise programme for patients with breast and colon cancer undergoing adjuvant chemotherapy: the randomized PACT study. BMJ Open 2017;7(3):012187.
6. Greenwald B. Reducing the risk for colon cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity. Gastroenterol nurs 2015;38(4):307–10.
7. Persson PG, Leijonmarck CE, Bernell O, et al. Risk indicators for inflammatory bowel disease. Int J Epidermiol 1993;2(22):268–72.
8. Moon CM, Yun KE, Ryu S, et al. High serum alanine aminotransferase is associated with the risk of colorectal adenoma in Korean men. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2017;32(7):1310–7.
9. Na HK, Lee JY. Molecular basis of alcohol-related gastric and colon cancer. Int J Mol Sci 2017;18(6):1116.
10. Choi SC, Choi SJ, Kim JA, et al. The role of the gastrointestinal endoscopy in long-distance runners with gastrointestinal symptoms. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001;13(9):1089–94.
11. El-Sayed MS, Ali N, El-Sayed AIZ. Interaction between alcohol and exercise: physiological and haematological implications. Sports Med 2005;35(3):257–69.
12. Terelius Y, Nersten-hong C, Cronholm T, et al. Acetaldehyde as a substrate for ethanol-inducible cytochrome pp450 (CYPIE1). Biochem biopsy Res Commun 1991;179(1):689–94.
13. Calka P, Ciesielka M, Buszewicz G, et al. Variation in gastric alcohol dehydrogenase and the risk of alcohol dependence. Arch Med Sadowei Kryminol 2016;66(3):172–81.
14. Fillet S, Adrio JL. Microbial production of fatty alcohols. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 2016;32(9):152.
15. Day CP, Bashir R, James OF, et al. Investigation of the role of polymorphisms at the alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase loci in genetic predisposition to alcohol-related end-organ damage. Hepatology 1991;14(5):798–801.
16. Hidaka A, Sasazuki S, Matsuo K, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of ADH1B, ADH1C and ALDH2, alcohol consumption, and the risk of gastric cancer: the Japan Public Health canter-based prospective study. Carcinogenesis 2015;36(2):223–31.
17. Cetinkaya C, Sisman AR, Kiray M, et al. Positive effects of aerobic exercise on learning and memory functioning, which correlate with hippocampal IGF-1 increase in adolescent rats. Neurosci Lett 2013;549:177–81.
18. Zhang W, Carriquiry A, Nettleton D, et al. Pooling mRNA in microarray experiments and its effect on power. Bioinformatics 2007;23(10):1217–24.
19. Loh SC, Thotathil GP, Othman AS. Identification of differentially expressed genes and signaling pathways in bark of hevea brasiliensis seedlings associated with secondary laticifer differentiation using gene expression microarray. Plant Physiol Biochem 2016;107:45–55.
20. Yook JS, Shibato J, Rakwal R, et al. DNA microarray-based experimental strategy for trustworthy expression profiling of the hippocampal genes by astaxanthin supplementation in adult mouse. Genom Data 2015;7:32–7.
21. Kamisako T, Tanaka Y, Ikeda T, et al. Dietary fish oil regulates gene expression of cholesterol and bile acid transproters in mice. Hepatol Res 2012;42(3):321–6.
22. Maejima R, Iijima K, Kaihovaara P, et al. Effects of ALDH2 genotype, PPI treatment and L-cysteine on carcinogenic acetaldehyde in gastric juice and saliva after intragastric alcohol administration. PLoS One 2015;10(4):0120397.
23. Chi YC, Lee SL, Lai CL, et al. Ethanol oxidation and the inhibition by drugs in human liver, stomach and small intestine: Quantitative assessment with numerical organ modeling of alcohol dehydrogenase isozymes. Chem Biol Interact 2016;258:134–41.
24. Yokoyama A, Muramatsu T, Ohmori T, et al. Alcohol-related cancers and aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 in Japanese alcoholics. Carcinogenesis 1998;19(8):1383-7.
25. He L, Ronis MJ, Badger TM. Ethanol induction of class I alcohol dehydrogenase expression in the rat occurs through alterations in CCAAT/ enhancer binding proteins beta and gamma. J Biol Chem 2002;277(46):43572-7.
26. Brown AS, Fiaterone JR, Day CP, et al. Ranitidine increases the bioavailability of postprandial ethanol by the reduction of first pass metabolism. Gut 1995;37(3):413–7.
27. Vila L, Ferrando A, Voces J, et al. Effect of chronic ethanol ingestion and exercise training on skeletal muscle in rat. Drug Alcohol Depend 2001;64(1):27–33.