Main Article Content
Confidence, sports, persistence, calmness, hesitation, and physical prime
Background and Objective: This study aimed to verify the validity of a questionnaire that surveys confidence in sports among athletes in combat sports. The questionnaire addresses the concepts of persistence, calmness, hesitation, and physical prime.
Material and Methods: Purposeful sampling using non-probability sampling was conducted in 367 players participating in university- and business-level athletics in the Republic of Korea. The data were analyzed using a multi-group confirmatory factor analysis, and a second confirmatory factor analysis with linear structural relations (LISREL) version 8.5. Concept reliability and average variance extracted (AVE) values were calculated using Excel 2010 (Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA, USA). Two-way (2×2) randomized group (RG) analysis of variance (ANOVA) was conducted using the SPSS 18.0 program (IBM Corp., Armonk, NY, USA).
Results: We proved that the sub-factors measured by the survey questions were relatively exact regarding self-confidence in combat-sport athletes. The questions relating to self-confidence in sports could be applied to both male and female athletes alike. The scores of the male athletes were higher than female athletes in factors such as fighting spirit, calmness, and performing under pressure. The scores of the national athletes were higher than those of the non-national athletes with respect to the body preparation factor.
Conclusion: These results suggest that the competitive sports questionnaire developed in a previous study could be utilized without difficulty in a confidence-related study of competitive sports athletes. The questionnaire is particularly effective in evaluating the confidence level of athletes.
2. Jang SY. Reconceptualization of SSCQ (Sources of Sport Confidence Questionnaire). Korean J Phys Educ 2014;53(5):171–83.
3. Beattie S, Hardy L, Woodman T. Precompetition self-confidence: The role of the self. J Sport Exer Psychol 2004;26(3):427–41.
4. Bull SJ, Shambrook CJ, James W, Brooks JE. Towards an understanding of mental toughness in elite English cricketers. J Appl Sport Psychol 2005;17(3):209–27.
5. Edward T, Kingston K, Hardy L, Gould D. A qualitative analysis of catastrophic performance and the associated thoughts, feeling, and emotion. Sport Psychol 2002;16(1):1–19.
6. Hanton S, Connaughton D. Perceived control of anxiety and its relationship to self-confidence and performance: A qualitative inquiry. Res Quart Exer Sport 2002;73(1):87–97.
7. Kim WB. Verification on the validity of sources of sport confidence questionnaire. Korean Soc Sport Psychol 1999;10(2):107–22.
8. Vealey RS, Hayashi SWF, Giacobbi P. Sources of sport-confidence conceptualization and instrument development. J Sport Exer Psychol 1998;20(1):54–80.
9. Martens R, Vealey RS, Burton D. Competitive anxiety in sport. Champaign, IL: Hum Kinet 1990.
10. Anderson JC, Gerbing DW. Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach. Psycholog Bull 1988;103(3):411–23.
11. Fornell C, Larcker DF. Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. J Market Res 1981;18(3):39–50.
12. Steenkamp JEM, Van Trijp HCM. The use of LISREL in validating marketing constructs. Int J Research Market 1991;8(4):283–99.
13. Marsh HW, Grayson D. Public/Catholic differences in high school and beyond data: A multigroup structural equation modeling approach to testing mean differences. J Educ Stat 1990;15(3):199–235.
14. Tucker LR, Lewis C. The reliability coefficient for maximum likelihood factor analysis. Psychometrika 1973;38(1):1–10.
15. Yang ES, Kim JH. The analysis of competitive state anxiety for Taekwondo athletes by CSAI-2. Korean Soc Sport Psychol 2010;21(1):69–84.
16. Chung YM, Cho IC. The study of the competitive state anxiety in high school Judo players. Korean Soc Phys Growth Motor Dev 1998;6(1):216–25.
17. Kim WB, Sung CH. Personality profiles of high school players in Korea: sixteen personality factor questionnaire. Korean Soc Sport Psychol 2002;13(1):49–66.
18. Hays K, Maynard I, Thomas O, Bawden M. Sources and types of confidence identified by world class sport performance. J Appl Sport Psychol 2007;19(4):434–56.
19. Kim WB. An analysis of the sport mental power construct and development of the sport mental power inventory in Korean competitive sports. Korean Soc Sport Psychol 2002;13(3):21–41.
20. Jung MM, Eom HJ. Understanding and interpretation of interaction effects in mutli-factor. ANOVA designs. Korean J Meas Eval Phys Educ Sport Science 2011;13(2):1–15.